Yummm! These mushrooms are a hearty side dish or even a main meal. Just what you need to refuel after a long day of exams, which I know many of you are going through right now. I love Chorizo and it’s spicy hit, this alongside the sweet Kumara and earthy mushrooms creates a beautiful flavour combination. The crispy Kale on top adds texture to the whole dish.
For 4 stuffed mushrooms, you will need:
4 large Portobello mushrooms, 1 medium Kumara (sweet potato), 1 cup of chopped Chorizo, 1/2 red onion, 1 clove of garlic, 2 cups of Kale, 1 tbsp cream cheese, 1 tbsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried coriander flakes, pinch of chili flakes (optional), salt & pepper, olive oil or coconut oil.
– Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
– Peel the Kumara and cut into small cubes. Place on a baking tray, lightly coat with olive oil, salt & pepper. Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
– Chop the chorizo, onion and garlic. Lightly brown these ingredients in a fry pan with a little olive oil. Allow to cool slightly and add to a mixing bowl.
– Once the Kumara is cooked, add this to the same mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add the dried herbs. Add the cream cheese and stir to combine.
– For the mushrooms, use your fingers to peel the muddy outside layer off and discard and cut the stalk out. Coat them in olive oil and salt and pepper. Use the same pan you cooked the Kumara in (extra flavour and less dishes!) pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
– Once the mushrooms are cooked, place a spoon full of the Chorizo and Kumara filling on top of each mushroom. Place under the girl for a couple of minutes until the top slightly browns. For extra deliciousness, grate some cheese on top before placing under the grill.
– For the crispy kale, remove the kale stalks. Place on a baking tray and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake in the oven at 180 for about 15 minutes, or until crispy. Serve on top of the mushrooms.