A healthy, tasty, cheap snack. I first had kale chips up at my friends beautiful Seaview House in Napier and loved it! (check out her Facebook page, you can stay there yourself! Links under the recipe). I scored a big bunch of kale from Buck’s Food Market in Central Hawkes Bay for $1.99 – cheaper than most bags of chips in the supermarket!
To make kale chips, all you have to do is:
– Remove the stalk from the kale and chop into about 3cm pieces.
– Clean the kale and pat dry. Leave it to dry for about 10 minutes (it won’t get crispy if its wet)
– Place on baking paper on a baking tray. Make sure no kale pieces are overlapping others.
– Drizzle over some olive oil and salt and pepper.
– Bake in the oven on 170 for about 10 minutes. Cooking kale right is very important. If its not cooked long enough its just chewy, but if cooked for slightly too long it has a nasty burnt taste, so keep an eye on it.
Leyan’s bach in Napier – http://www.facebook.com/seaviewhouse